2013 was an interesting year. It was a difficult year, one full of ups and downs. It, for me, was a year of endings. And endings tend to hurt, they are hard, they are confusing. The only good thing about endings is they always bring the hope of new beginnings. I am optimistic for 2014. I am trusting that I will find the grace and strength to face change head on, and to embrace the good in everyday.
I have to say I have not made any official resolutions this year – yay me! I think that making lofty resolutions that will not last a month never mind a year is a grand way to start the year off on the wrong foot. And so I’m not doing it.
This year January is for saying goodbye to 2013 while greeting 2014, it is my month of looking back and looking forward at the same time. January a time of both letting go and greeting.
Some of 2013’s highlights:
Miss Irish Katie: She was a major highlight of 2013. She was fun, goofy, nerdy and we got along like 2 peas in a pod. We became friends outside of the blog-o-sphere, and so it makes for a painful ending to the year with the loss of such a dear friend. I may not have known her long, and I may not have had the chance to meet her in person, we were making plans to meet we were only a few hours and a border away from one another, but we ran out of time. She touched my life in such a big way over a short period of time. I miss her very, very much… But so it is with life, there are hello’s and there are goodbye’s and neither can be avoided. So I hold on to what I have, I hold on to what I had and remember with fondness. Oh my dear Katie, you have a place in my heart for always…
The following lists are in no particular order…
Books – I read some good books last year (I also read some really crappy ones, however those won’t be mentioned here)
- The Dovekeepers – Alice Hoffman
- Tuesdays with Morrie – Mitch Albom
- The Ocean at the end of the Lane – Neil Gaiman
- Burial Rites – Hannah Kent
- Web of Angels – Lilian Kent
- The Timekeeper – Mitch Albom
- The Secret Life of Bees – Sue Monk Kidd
- The Help – Kathryn Stockett
- Warm Bodies – Isaac Marion
Movies & TV shows – just like the books I watched some great movies/shows this year (not all are new but they were for me) and some real duds, again not mentioned here…
- War Horse
- Sherlock (I am a bonafide addict!)
- The Hobbit – The Desolation of Smaug
- The Walking Dead
- Warm Bodies (the book and the movie were quite different from one another but both have merit)
- Star Trek Into Darkness
- Les Miserables
I discovered some ‘new’ artists (at least new to me), new albums, and a handful of songs that just speak to me…
- 8Tracks – online playlists full of great music, great artists, and it’s free!
- The Calling – there is something about Alex Band’s voice that I cannot get over (thank-you Scorpion Glow for introducing me to their music )
- A Fine Frenzy – I love her songs ‘Almost Lover’ & ‘Near to Me’ they are haunting and speak volumes of truth (but she has lots of good songs)
- William Fitzsimmons
- Andrew Belle
- Phillip Phillips
- One Republic’s new album
- Matchbox Twenty’s new album
- Great Big World – Say Something
Just a few of my favourite posts from the past year:
- The Golden Rule… and the difference between desiring and deserving
- Too Fat… Too Thin… Really?? WTF???
- Unconditional Love vs Acting Like a Big Gorilla…
- YOLO, Life, Death, and ‘that’ one thing…
- Longings of the Heart…
- The Power of Vulnerability
So let’s see what 2014 has waiting, hold your head up, and walk through the garden gate, cuz it’s gonna be amazing, I am sure!!!