Hey kid what do you wanna be when you grow up? Spiderman! A Ballerina! A Fireman! An X-men! One of Charlies’ Angels! A doctor! An astronaut! The President!!! and so goes the list…
What do you wanna be when you grow up? I am sure we all remember being asked that question, when we were like what 8? Maybe 12? Even at 16… What do you wanna be when you grow up? I hate that question! I have always hated that question! That horrible directionless, open ended question! I am afraid I am still trying to figure this one out… and I am so many moons past 16, or even 25, or gasp 30! and this is where I digress… because there is a long shadow that stretches beyond my 30’s… SIGH…
Anyways point… right I did have a point… I mean I do have a point… I do not know what I want to be when I grow up! Or maybe I do but I can’t just narrow it down to one thing… How does one go about figuring out the answer? I mean some people just know what they want to do and they go do it. HOW? Why can’t I seem to grasp this? There are just so many choices! So, so, so many option out there… and out of all those glorious options there are specific realistic needs that have to be met. Like earning enough money to survive. But beyond that we as human beings need to fulfill a desire to accomplish. I must feel like I am accomplishing something. I must feel like I have contributed to the greater good in some way. I hate feeling trapped and like I am wasting my precious time. Twiddling away my life, just to earn a buck, so I can support my kids.
So when I finally grow up I wanna… well… I… errrr… uummm… I have no bloody idea!!!
My list of ‘job’ criteria:
- First and foremost I have to be able to actually earn a living doing it
- I have actually enjoy doing it
- It has to be something that can evolve and grow with me
- I must be able to feel that I have contributed in some way at the end of each day. It doesn’t have to be huge, but I need to know I have helped, made something better, ya know? (and no sugar coating turds – it has to be legit)
- I desire flexibility
- I desire creativity
- I want to be able to use BOTH sides of my brain throughout the day
- I need to have the freedom to get things done in a way that makes sense to me, while still having some guidelines and a determined destination (else I will never get anything done).
- I need to work independently, yet know I can find resources/help when I am uncertain or needing guidance.
And that is my rather vague list which actually tells me much about myself without actually helping me narrow down WHAT I WANT TO DO!!!!
Well maybe I can be a drawing, painting, singing, sound-mixing, colouring, cooking, fashion designing, writing, editing, teaching, humanitarian just doing cool stuff, and helping others type person?